Overbite is a dental condition in which the upper front teeth overlap excessively with the lower front teeth. It can cause problems with chewing and speech and even lead to jaw pain.
While traditional braces have been used for many years to correct overbite, Invisalign has become an increasingly popular alternative. Invisalign is a clear aligner system that can effectively correct an overbite. In this article, we will discuss how Invisalign corrects overbites.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a clear aligner system that uses a series of custom-made, clear plastic trays to straighten teeth. The trays are worn for approximately 22 hours per day and are changed every two weeks as teeth gradually move into their desired positions.
Invisalign is a popular alternative to traditional metal braces because the aligners are virtually invisible and can be removed for eating, brushing, and flossing.
How Invisalign Corrects Overbites
Invisalign can correct overbites by gradually moving the teeth into their correct positions. Here’s how it works:
- Custom Treatment Plan: To begin the Invisalign process, your orthodontist will take impressions of your teeth and create a custom treatment plan. This will involve creating a series of clear plastic trays that will be used to move your teeth into their correct positions gradually.
- Regular Progress Check-ins: Throughout your Invisalign treatment, you must visit your orthodontist regularly for progress check-ins. Your orthodontist will assess your progress at each appointment and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan.
- Gradual Tooth Movement: Over time, the clear plastic trays will gradually move your teeth into their correct positions. This will help to correct your overbite and improve your overall dental health.
- Bite Correction: In addition to straightening your teeth, Invisalign can also be used to correct your bite. By gradually moving your teeth into their correct positions, Invisalign can help to improve your bite and alleviate any associated jaw pain.
- Retainer Wear: Once your Invisalign treatment is complete, you must wear a retainer to maintain your new smile. This will help to prevent your teeth from shifting back into their original positions.
Benefits of Invisalign for Overbite Correction
There are several benefits to using Invisalign to correct overbite:
- Discreet: Invisalign trays are virtually invisible, making them an excellent option for those self-conscious about wearing traditional metal braces.
- Comfortable: Invisalign trays are made from smooth plastic, making them more comfortable to wear than traditional braces.
- Removable: Invisalign trays can be removed for eating, brushing, and flossing, making them more convenient than traditional braces.
- Effective: Invisalign can effectively correct overbite and improve dental health.
- Customizable: Invisalign treatment plans are customizable to meet each patient’s unique needs.
- Shorter Treatment Time: Invisalign treatment time is typically shorter than traditional braces, with most treatments lasting between 6 and 18 months.
Invisalign is an effective alternative to traditional metal braces for correcting overbite. By gradually moving the teeth into their correct positions, Invisalign can improve dental health, alleviate jaw pain, and improve the bite.
In addition to being discreet and comfortable, Invisalign is also customizable and can be removed for eating, brushing, and flossing. If you are struggling with an overbite, talk to your orthodontist about whether Invisalign could be a good option.
Chelmsford Dental Specialists Group is a trusted dentist in Chelmsford, MA. We are a leading family dentist dedicated and committed to helping patients improve and maintain their oral health. Book an appointment today.